Willkommen bei der Antragsdatenbank!
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program: Project 07/2024: PHD position in very high energy astrophysics. The position address observational and experimental aspects.
Topic Description: The last ten years have been characterized by the unveiling of the Universe at very High Energies (VHE) thanks to the observations of the HESS, MAGIC, VERITAS and LHAASO observatories. Currently the new large observatories at VHE the Cherenkov Telescope Array is being developed and has finally entered the construction phase in both the southern and the northern hemisphere. The High Energy astrophysics section of the Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics is actively involved in VHE astronomy, both in the observational analysis of extreme sources and in developing hardware for the CTA observatory. The successful candidate will be involved in the observational analysis of Supernova Remnants and Gamma binaries emitting at VHE using a multi-wavelength approach. In addition the candidate will work on the development of the PMT based focal plane cameras for the Medium Size Telescope array of CTA, that has entered the construction phase in the two sites in Chile and La Palma. In the context of the study we expect to establish a collaboration with the LHAASO telescope which is revolutionising the view of the Universe at the even higher energies.
Faculty: Faculty of Science
Institute/Section/Subject: Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics (IAAT)
Supervising Professors: Prof. Andrea Santangelo, Dr. Gerd Pühlhofer
About the Supervisors: Prof. Santangelo is the head of the High energy astrophysics Department of IAAT, whereas Dr. Pühlhofer has a permanent staff position and is coordinating the very high energy gamma-rays activities of the Institute.
Requirements for the application:
Required Degrees: Master degree
Language Requirements: English at C1 level, mostly certified by direct contact.
Notes: The candidate is expected to conduct the program in Tübingen. The requested program is for Funding line A for 48 months.
For further instructions on how to apply, more information on the program and contact details please see below.
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) and the University of Tübingen have established a PhD Program which supports Chinese nationals inside and outside of China wishing to carry out all or part of their PhD study in Tübingen.
- providing high quality research training to qualified students from Chinese universities
- developing education and research collaborations between the University of Tübingen and Chinese universities and research institutions
Excellent postgraduate and doctoral students from the People's Republic of China.
Funding line A - Full time fellowship:
- postgraduate students who want to carry out their complete doctoral studies at the University of Tübingen
- up to 48 months
- degree conferred by the University of Tübingen
- Annual living allowance as prescribed by the Chinese Government (which includes Overseas Student Health Cover)
Funding Line B - Part time fellowship (sandwich model):
- doctoral students who want to carry out their research and studies alternatively at their home universities and the University of Tübingen. They follow a schedule set in advance by both the Chinese supervisors and supervisors at the University of Tübingen
- 6-24 months in Tübingen
- degree conferred by the Chinese home university
- Annual living allowance as prescribed by the Chinese Government (which includes Overseas Student Health Cover) for 6-24 months
Funding for both Funding lines includes:
- Return airfare to Germany
- Visa application fees
- Support for the attendance of international conferences during the second and third year (up to 1000€ granted to successful applicants)
Benefits for both funding lines:
- Tuition waiver
- Option to take German language classes provided by the University of Tübingen during the first year
- Accommodation offered in Tübingen student dormitories depending on availability
- Opportunities to gain additional teaching and research experience as well as economic benefits from the University of Tübingen from the second year onward (depending on the ability of the applicant and the situation of the respective institute)
- Jan 15: Application deadline. Applications must be handed in through the online application system of the University of Tübingen
- by March 10: Successful applicants will be officially informed
- by March 31: Invited applicants have to register with the CSC according to the regulations of the CSC.
- by May 31: Final decisions about the allocation of scholarships will be made by the CSC
- by Oct 1: Program participants arrive in Tübingen
- Successful candidates must return to China upon completion of their studies.
How to Apply:
In order to apply you need to upload the following documents combined in 1 PDF
- Cover/Motivation letter
- Research proposal (3-5 pages)
- Academic transcripts* (if you have not yet completed your Master's studies, please submit a confirmation of studies and an up-to-date transcript of records)
- Proof of proficient English language skills (i.e. comprehension of a wide range of demanding, longer texts as well as fluent and spontaneous expression allowing a flexible and effective language use for social, academic and professional purposes.) - TOEFL iBT 95 or IELTS 6.5 or equivalent
*List of required Academic transcripts (including official translation into German or English for documents issued in Chinese)
1) Bachelor’s Degree Award Certificate / Bachelor Gradverleihungsurkunde (学士学位证书 xueshi xuewei zhengshu)
2) Bachelor's Degree Certificate/ Abschlusszeugnis (毕业证书 biye zhengshu) für das Bachelorstudium (本科 benke)
3) Transcript of the subjects and marks / Fächer- und Notenübersicht (成绩表 chengjibiao) for your Bachelor’s degree/ für das Bachelorstudium (本科 benke)
4) Master’s Degree Award Certificate / Master-Gradverleihungsurkunde (硕士学位证书 shuoshi xuewei zhengshu)
5) Master’s Degree Certificate/ Abschlusszeugnis für das Masterstudium (硕士研究生毕业证书 shuoshi yanjiusheng biye zhengshu)
6) Transcript of the subjects and marks for your Master’s Degree / Fächer- und Notenübersicht für das Masterstudium (硕士研究生成绩表 shuoshi yanjiusheng chengjibiao)
For questions please contact:
(Ms) Tetyana Tonkoshkur
Dezernat II – Forschung
+49 7071 29-750005