Willkommen bei der Antragsdatenbank!
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program: Project 03/2024: Effect of root residue decomposition of winter cover crops on maize N nutrition
Topic Description: Cover crops are increasingly used to promote soil C sequestration, but serve also as “highways to the subsoil”, promoting access to subsoil nutrient resources. Winter-hardy versus winter-killed cover crop species are thereby not yet studied regarding their implications for plant nutrition: i) Does the biomass of winter-killed cover crops lose significant amounts of its nutrients by early spring residue mineralization? ii) Do not-yet degraded root residues of winter-hardy cover crops block access to the root channels? The fellow will assess under which conditions these cover crop traits support maize N nutrition best and which potential lies in combination of winter-hardy and winter killed cover crops.
Faculty: Faculty of Science
Institute/Section/Subject: Department of Geosciences & Department of Biology, Group: Geo-Biosphere Interactions
Supervising Professors: Prof. Dr. Michaela Dippold
About the Supervisors: Prof. of Geo-Biosphere Interaction; main disciplines: soil biogeochemistry and molecular microbiology; work in natural and agro-ecosystems; emphasize on isotope applications at the root-soil-microbe continuum: https://uni-tuebingen.de/de/232301
Degree: Dr. rer. nat.
Requirements for the application:
Required Degrees: M.Sc. in Resource and/or Environmental Sciences, Geoecology, Agriculture, Plant Biology, Plant Nutrition, or comparable. Expertise with biogeochemical transformations (preferably residue decomposition) and plant nutrition is searched for;
Language Requirements: English, C1 level
For further instructions on how to apply, more information on the program and contact details please see below.
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) and the University of Tübingen have established a PhD Program which supports Chinese nationals inside and outside of China wishing to carry out all or part of their PhD study in Tübingen.
- providing high quality research training to qualified students from Chinese universities
- developing education and research collaborations between the University of Tübingen and Chinese universities and research institutions
Excellent postgraduate and doctoral students from the People's Republic of China.
Funding line A - Full time fellowship:
- postgraduate students who want to carry out their complete doctoral studies at the University of Tübingen
- up to 48 months
- degree conferred by the University of Tübingen
- Annual living allowance as prescribed by the Chinese Government (which includes Overseas Student Health Cover)
Funding Line B - Part time fellowship (sandwich model):
- doctoral students who want to carry out their research and studies alternatively at their home universities and the University of Tübingen. They follow a schedule set in advance by both the Chinese supervisors and supervisors at the University of Tübingen
- 6-24 months in Tübingen
- degree conferred by the Chinese home university
- Annual living allowance as prescribed by the Chinese Government (which includes Overseas Student Health Cover) for 6-24 months
Funding for both Funding lines includes:
- Return airfare to Germany
- Visa application fees
- Support for the attendance of international conferences during the second and third year (up to 1000€ granted to successful applicants)
Benefits for both funding lines:
- Tuition waiver
- Option to take German language classes provided by the University of Tübingen during the first year
- Accommodation offered in Tübingen student dormitories depending on availability
- Opportunities to gain additional teaching and research experience as well as economic benefits from the University of Tübingen from the second year onward (depending on the ability of the applicant and the situation of the respective institute)
- Jan 15: Application deadline. Applications must be handed in through the online application system of the University of Tübingen
- by March 10: Successful applicants will be officially informed
- by March 31: Invited applicants have to register with the CSC according to the regulations of the CSC.
- by May 31: Final decisions about the allocation of scholarships will be made by the CSC
- by Oct 1: Program participants arrive in Tübingen
- Successful candidates must return to China upon completion of their studies.
How to Apply:
In order to apply you need to upload the following documents combined in 1 PDF
- Cover/Motivation letter
- Research proposal (3-5 pages)
- Academic transcripts* (if you have not yet completed your Master's studies, please submit a confirmation of studies and an up-to-date transcript of records)
- Proof of proficient English language skills (i.e. comprehension of a wide range of demanding, longer texts as well as fluent and spontaneous expression allowing a flexible and effective language use for social, academic and professional purposes.) - TOEFL iBT 95 or IELTS 6.5 or equivalent
*List of required Academic transcripts (including official translation into German or English for documents issued in Chinese)
1) Bachelor’s Degree Award Certificate / Bachelor Gradverleihungsurkunde (学士学位证书 xueshi xuewei zhengshu)
2) Bachelor's Degree Certificate/ Abschlusszeugnis (毕业证书 biye zhengshu) für das Bachelorstudium (本科 benke)
3) Transcript of the subjects and marks / Fächer- und Notenübersicht (成绩表 chengjibiao) for your Bachelor’s degree/ für das Bachelorstudium (本科 benke)
4) Master’s Degree Award Certificate / Master-Gradverleihungsurkunde (硕士学位证书 shuoshi xuewei zhengshu)
5) Master’s Degree Certificate/ Abschlusszeugnis für das Masterstudium (硕士研究生毕业证书 shuoshi yanjiusheng biye zhengshu)
6) Transcript of the subjects and marks for your Master’s Degree / Fächer- und Notenübersicht für das Masterstudium (硕士研究生成绩表 shuoshi yanjiusheng chengjibiao)
For questions please contact:
(Ms) Tetyana Tonkoshkur
Dezernat II – Forschung
+49 7071 29-750005