Willkommen bei der Antragsdatenbank!
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program: Project 22/2020:
Accumulation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soils: Atmospheric deposition and the role of plants
Topic Description:Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are released in combustion processes (vehicles, heating, electric power production, etc.) and thus occur ubiquitously in the environment. Their concentration in soils and sediments is typically 100 - 1000 higher than for other persistent organic pollutants such as Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCB) or pesticides. Accumulation rates in soils and sediments cannot be explained solely by atmospheric deposition. Other processes such as gas deposition and the role of plants - which are passive samplers for gaseous atmospheric compounds - are so far not considered but could close the gap between wet and dry deposition rates and PAH loads in soils. Goal of the study is to integrate wet and dry deposition rates with atm. gaseous and particulate concentrations and accumulation of PAHs in plants and soils. Similar data sets available in Shanghai and Tübingen will be complemented and compared.
Faculty: Faculty of Science
Supervising Professors:Prof. Dr. P. Grathwohl
About the Supervisors:Fate and transport of persistent organic pollutants in the environment: http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/en/faculties/faculty-of-science/departments/geosciences/work-groups/angewandte-geowissenschaften/center-for-applied-geoscience-zag/hydrogeochemie/arbeitsgruppe.html
Requirements for the application:Required Degrees: Master in Environmental Sciences (incl. Geosciences, Environmental Chemistry) or Environmental Engineering
Language Requirements: English
For further instructions on how to apply, more information on the program and contact details please see below.
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) and the University of Tübingen have established a PhD Program which supports Chinese nationals inside and outside of China wishing to carry out all or part of their PhD study in Tübingen.
- providing high quality research training to qualified students from Chinese universities
- developing education and research collaborations between the University of Tübingen and Chinese universities and research institutions
Excellent postgraduate and doctoral students from Chinese universities who are citizens and permanent residents of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application
Details: Full time fellowship:
- postgraduate students who want to carry out their complete doctoral studies at the University of Tübingen
- up to 48 months
- degree conferred by the University of Tübingen
- Annual living allowance as prescribed by the Chinese Government (which includes Overseas Student Health Cover)
- Return airfare to Germany
- Visa application fees
- Support for the attendance of international conferences during the second and third year (up to 1000€ granted to successful applicants)
- Tuition waiver
- Option to take German language classes provided by the University of Tübingen during the first year
- Accommodation offered in Tübingen student dormitories depending on availability
- Opportunities to gain additional teaching and research experience as well as economic benefits from the University of Tübingen from the second year onward (depending on the ability of the applicant and the situation of the respective institute)
- Jan 15: Application deadline. Applications must be handed in through the online application system of the University of Tübingen
- by March 1: Successful applicants will be officially informed
- by April 5: Invited applicants have to register with the CSC according to the regulations of the CSC.
- by May 31: Final decisions about the allocation of scholarships will be made by the CSC
- June: Program participants will be invited for a welcome seminar in Beijing
- by Oct 1: Program participants arrive in Tübingen
- Successful candidates must return to China upon completion of their studies.
How to Apply:
In order to apply you need to upload the following documents combined in 1 PDF
- Cover/Motivation letter
- Research proposal
- Academic transcripts
- Proof of proficient skills in the required languages (if possible certificates, proficiency=comprehension of a wide range of demanding, longer texts as well as fluent and spontaneous expression allowing a flexible and effective language use for social, academic and professional purposes.)
For questions please contact the representation of the University of Tübingen in Beijing:
European Centre for Chinese Studies (ECCS)
Mr. Christian Buskühl
Peking University Pacific Science and Technology Development Center
52, Haidian Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100080 / Room 708
北京大学太平洋科技发展中心, 北京市 海淀区 海淀路52号 708室 / 邮编: 100080