Willkommen bei der Antragsdatenbank!
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program: Project 17/2020:
Coupled plasmonic nano antennas with ultra high precision geometric control
Topic Description:When noble metal nanostructures are excited by light, the free electron density in the metal performs collective oscillations that are called plasmons. Such particles act like antennasfor visible light. By positioning two or more nanostructures at nanometer dist ances from each other, coupling of their electric fields occurs , leading to extremely high electric near fields . These are attractive e.g. for sensing applications , and the coupling can be used to fine tune the resonances of the system. The properties strongly depend on the nanoscale geometry of the coupled system, and techniques with ultra high control down to the atomic level are required to engineer high quality antennas. To gain geometric control with excellent precision in this project single crystalline gold flakes will be combined with the advanced methods of atomic layer deposition of nanometric oxide layers and focused helium ion beam milling for lateral outline control. The resulting coupled two or multi component antennas will be imaged by scanning electron microscopy, and their optical properties will be investigated by m icro spectroscopic analyses supported by numerical simulations .
Faculty: Faculty of Science
Institute/Section/Subject:Institute for Applied Physics / Plasmonic Nanostructures Group
Supervising Professors:Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Monika Fleischer
About the Supervisors:Prof. Fleischer's research focuses on the lithographic fabrication and spectroscopic analysis of metallic nanostructures for nano-optics, plasmonics, near-field microscopy and sensing. The metal nanostructures are combined with e.g. bioassays, quantum dots or organic films to investigate the emerging properties of the hybrid systems. The optical properties are modelled by numerical simulations, see also http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/plasmonics/.
Requirements for the application:Required Degrees: Master degree in Physics , Optics, Nanoscience, or comparable
Language Requirements: English proficiency (fluent in spoken and written English) is immensely important in academia , since projects are developed in discussion, and results need to be correctly expressed in the written thesis and journal papers. English at the proficiency level of C1 C2 (high/good scores in all categories of the TOEFL test, i.e. a minimum of 94 points, better of 100 points) are required. Basic knowledge of German will facilitate everyday life, but is not mandatory.
Notes: Applicants should have good practical & analytical skills. Previous e xperience in nanofabrication, microscopy and/ or spectroscopy is welcome. Participation in tutoring lab courses will be expected.
For further instructions on how to apply, more information on the program and contact details please see below.
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) and the University of Tübingen have established a PhD Program which supports Chinese nationals inside and outside of China wishing to carry out all or part of their PhD study in Tübingen.
- providing high quality research training to qualified students from Chinese universities
- developing education and research collaborations between the University of Tübingen and Chinese universities and research institutions
Excellent postgraduate and doctoral students from Chinese universities who are citizens and permanent residents of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application
Details: Full time fellowship:
- postgraduate students who want to carry out their complete doctoral studies at the University of Tübingen
- up to 48 months
- degree conferred by the University of Tübingen
- Annual living allowance as prescribed by the Chinese Government (which includes Overseas Student Health Cover)
- Return airfare to Germany
- Visa application fees
- Support for the attendance of international conferences during the second and third year (up to 1000€ granted to successful applicants)
- Tuition waiver
- Option to take German language classes provided by the University of Tübingen during the first year
- Accommodation offered in Tübingen student dormitories depending on availability
- Opportunities to gain additional teaching and research experience as well as economic benefits from the University of Tübingen from the second year onward (depending on the ability of the applicant and the situation of the respective institute)
- Jan 15: Application deadline. Applications must be handed in through the online application system of the University of Tübingen
- by March 1: Successful applicants will be officially informed
- by April 5: Invited applicants have to register with the CSC according to the regulations of the CSC.
- by May 31: Final decisions about the allocation of scholarships will be made by the CSC
- June: Program participants will be invited for a welcome seminar in Beijing
- by Oct 1: Program participants arrive in Tübingen
- Successful candidates must return to China upon completion of their studies.
How to Apply:
In order to apply you need to upload the following documents combined in 1 PDF
- Cover/Motivation letter
- Research proposal
- Academic transcripts
- Proof of proficient skills in the required languages (if possible certificates, proficiency=comprehension of a wide range of demanding, longer texts as well as fluent and spontaneous expression allowing a flexible and effective language use for social, academic and professional purposes.)
For questions please contact the representation of the University of Tübingen in Beijing:
European Centre for Chinese Studies (ECCS)
Mr. Christian Buskühl
Peking University Pacific Science and Technology Development Center
52, Haidian Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100080 / Room 708
北京大学太平洋科技发展中心, 北京市 海淀区 海淀路52号 708室 / 邮编: 100080