Willkommen bei der Antragsdatenbank!
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program: Project 15/2020:
Superconducting emitters of terahertz radiation based on intrinsic Josephson junctions in the high temperature superconductor Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8s
Topic Description:THz science and technology is a hot topic of research. A very promising THz oscillator is based on stacks of intrinsic Josephson junctions occurring naturally in the high temperature superconductor Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8. These junctions, when phase synchronized, coherently emit in the frequency range 0.4 to 2.5 THz. Although the best devices have very good figures of merits, a number of issues, like the mechanisms of synchronization, are not well understood and will be tackled within the proposed PhD research project. Our research is performed within an intense collaboration with the group of H. B. Wang, Research Institute for Superconductor Electronics, Nanjing University.
Faculty: Faculty of Science
Institute/Section/Subject:Physics Institute/Experimental Solid State Physics/Superconductivity
Supervising Professors:Prof. Dr. Reinhold Kleiner, Prof. Dr. Dieter Kölle
About the Supervisors:The group Experimental Solid State Physics is co-run by Profs. R. Kleiner and D. Kölle. Our research team consists of approx. 30 people, including students who -- within their bachelor-/master-/diploma and PhD thesis -- do research on up-to-date hot topics of modern solid state physics, with a main focus on superconductivity and magnetism, Josephson effects and quantum interferometry, nonlinear dynamics and imaging techniques at low temperatures.
More details can be found under http://www.physik.uni-tuebingen.de/fkp.html.
Requirements for the application:Required Degrees: M. Sc. in Physics
Language Requirements: English
Notes: More details on the physics of intrinsic Josephson junctions can be found under
For further instructions on how to apply, more information on the program and contact details please see below.
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) and the University of Tübingen have established a PhD Program which supports Chinese nationals inside and outside of China wishing to carry out all or part of their PhD study in Tübingen.
- providing high quality research training to qualified students from Chinese universities
- developing education and research collaborations between the University of Tübingen and Chinese universities and research institutions
Excellent postgraduate and doctoral students from Chinese universities who are citizens and permanent residents of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application
Details: Full time fellowship:
- postgraduate students who want to carry out their complete doctoral studies at the University of Tübingen
- up to 48 months
- degree conferred by the University of Tübingen
- Annual living allowance as prescribed by the Chinese Government (which includes Overseas Student Health Cover)
- Return airfare to Germany
- Visa application fees
- Support for the attendance of international conferences during the second and third year (up to 1000€ granted to successful applicants)
- Tuition waiver
- Option to take German language classes provided by the University of Tübingen during the first year
- Accommodation offered in Tübingen student dormitories depending on availability
- Opportunities to gain additional teaching and research experience as well as economic benefits from the University of Tübingen from the second year onward (depending on the ability of the applicant and the situation of the respective institute)
- Jan 15: Application deadline. Applications must be handed in through the online application system of the University of Tübingen
- by March 1: Successful applicants will be officially informed
- by April 5: Invited applicants have to register with the CSC according to the regulations of the CSC.
- by May 31: Final decisions about the allocation of scholarships will be made by the CSC
- June: Program participants will be invited for a welcome seminar in Beijing
- by Oct 1: Program participants arrive in Tübingen
- Successful candidates must return to China upon completion of their studies.
How to Apply:
In order to apply you need to upload the following documents combined in 1 PDF
- Cover/Motivation letter
- Research proposal
- Academic transcripts
- Proof of proficient skills in the required languages (if possible certificates, proficiency=comprehension of a wide range of demanding, longer texts as well as fluent and spontaneous expression allowing a flexible and effective language use for social, academic and professional purposes.)
For questions please contact the representation of the University of Tübingen in Beijing:
European Centre for Chinese Studies (ECCS)
Mr. Christian Buskühl
Peking University Pacific Science and Technology Development Center
52, Haidian Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100080 / Room 708
北京大学太平洋科技发展中心, 北京市 海淀区 海淀路52号 708室 / 邮编: 100080