Willkommen bei der Antragsdatenbank!
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program: Project 12/2020:
Observational Studies of X-ray binaries
Topic Description:Many of the observational and theoretical aspects of the astrophysics, and formation and evolution of X-ray binaries are still unveiled. In this project we will use state-of-the art survey data of the eROSITA observatory onboard the Spectrum X-Gamma mission, launched on July 2019, to conduct population studies of X-ray binaries in our and nearby galaxies. Population synthesis codes will be used to theoretically understand the observational results. Given the sensitivity and grasp of the eROSITA observatory, these studies will provide an unique view on the evolutionary track of these systems. In the framework of the doctoral pogram, we will also study aspects of the astrophysics of X-ray binaries based on wide-band data of the HXMT-Insight mission. The thesis will therefore combine spectral-timing analysis of a sample of X-ray binaries (with neutron star and black holes).
Faculty: Faculty of Science
Institute/Section/Subject:Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics Tübingen (IAAT), Section High Energy Astrophyiscs
Supervising Professors:Prof. Andrea Santangelo
About the Supervisors:Prof. Santangelo is the head of the High Energy Astrophysics section at the Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics in Tübingen, and the speaker of the Physics Department. His research field ranges from experimental developments for high energy space missions (XMM, INTEGRAL, eROSITA, ATHENA, eXTP, THESEUS) and ground-based TeV observatories (HESS, CTA) to multi-wavelength observational analysis and modeling of many classes of sources. In particular the group is very active in research in the field of endpoints of stellar evolution, such as neutron stars, black holes, SNRs, and population studies of Low and High mass X-ray binaries. More information on Prof. Santangelo’s activities can be found in the web pages of the Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics Tübingen. Prof. Santangelo CV and publication list can be found at: http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/de/110510
Requirements for the application:Required Degrees: Master in Physics, or in Astronomy, or in Astrophysics, or any equivalent title.
Language Requirements: Informal knowledge of English enough to communicate in scientific discussions.
Notes:The project is for Funding line A- Full time fellowship. The project will be conducted in the framework of the HXMT/Insight and eROSITA activities of the IAAT. Collaborations with the Institute of High Energy Physics of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, and with MPE in Garching are anticipated. This fellowship will enhance the exchange of knowledge on High Energy Astrophysics between Chinese and European groups and strengthen the collaboration of the two countries in view of new future projects like the eXTP mission. The High Energy group of IAAT is a high international group with students or postdocs from 8 different countries world-wide. Our policy is to support the participation of PhD students to conference, schools, stages abroad, to acquire a strong and visible international profile.
For further instructions on how to apply, more information on the program and contact details please see below.
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) and the University of Tübingen have established a PhD Program which supports Chinese nationals inside and outside of China wishing to carry out all or part of their PhD study in Tübingen.
- providing high quality research training to qualified students from Chinese universities
- developing education and research collaborations between the University of Tübingen and Chinese universities and research institutions
Excellent postgraduate and doctoral students from Chinese universities who are citizens and permanent residents of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application
Details: Full time fellowship:
- postgraduate students who want to carry out their complete doctoral studies at the University of Tübingen
- up to 48 months
- degree conferred by the University of Tübingen
- Annual living allowance as prescribed by the Chinese Government (which includes Overseas Student Health Cover)
- Return airfare to Germany
- Visa application fees
- Support for the attendance of international conferences during the second and third year (up to 1000€ granted to successful applicants)
- Tuition waiver
- Option to take German language classes provided by the University of Tübingen during the first year
- Accommodation offered in Tübingen student dormitories depending on availability
- Opportunities to gain additional teaching and research experience as well as economic benefits from the University of Tübingen from the second year onward (depending on the ability of the applicant and the situation of the respective institute)
- Jan 15: Application deadline. Applications must be handed in through the online application system of the University of Tübingen
- by March 1: Successful applicants will be officially informed
- by April 5: Invited applicants have to register with the CSC according to the regulations of the CSC.
- by May 31: Final decisions about the allocation of scholarships will be made by the CSC
- June: Program participants will be invited for a welcome seminar in Beijing
- by Oct 1: Program participants arrive in Tübingen
- Successful candidates must return to China upon completion of their studies.
How to Apply:
In order to apply you need to upload the following documents combined in 1 PDF
- Cover/Motivation letter
- Research proposal
- Academic transcripts
- Proof of proficient skills in the required languages (if possible certificates, proficiency=comprehension of a wide range of demanding, longer texts as well as fluent and spontaneous expression allowing a flexible and effective language use for social, academic and professional purposes.)
For questions please contact the representation of the University of Tübingen in Beijing:
European Centre for Chinese Studies (ECCS)
Mr. Christian Buskühl
Peking University Pacific Science and Technology Development Center
52, Haidian Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100080 / Room 708
北京大学太平洋科技发展中心, 北京市 海淀区 海淀路52号 708室 / 邮编: 100080