Willkommen bei der Antragsdatenbank!
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program: Project 09/2020:
A vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) unmanned aircraft (UAS) for atmospheric and wind-energy science
Topic Description:The environmental-physics group at the University of Tübingen is internationally well-known for its ability to conduct atmospheric science using small unmanned research aircraft (UAS). Our specialty is the in situ measurement of atmospheric turbulence and turbulent fluxes with highest resolution above various surfaces including polar regions, oceans and complex country sites. Currently, we are using a fixed-wing UAS (and perform take-off using a light winch or bungee) since turbulence measurements are only possible with fixed-wing aircraft since multi-copters cause significant flow disturbance. We are looking for a PhD candidate who designs a UAV with vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) capability in order to combine the advantages of a multi-copter such as an easy handling during take off and landing and the capability of turbulence measurement during cruising flight in a fixed wing mode flight. Further, the candidate tests this system regarding
trustworthiness, endurance and disturbance to the atmospheric flow. A final scientific field campaign can be carried out in the framework of one of our wind-energy research projects, for instance.
Faculty: Faculty of Science
Institute/Section/Subject:Centre for Applied Geo-Science, Environmental Physics
Supervising Professors:Prof. Dr. habil. Jens Bange and Dr. rer. nat. Andreas Platis (www.geo.uni-tuebingen.de/umphy)
About the Supervisors:atmospheric physics, turbulence, boundary-layer meteorology, wind energy, gases,air particles (from fine dust to pollen), sensor development, airborne measurement technology
Requirements for the application:Required Degrees: physics or meteorology or aeronautical or fluid-mechanical engineering
Language Requirements: English
Notes: We are looking for PhD a candidate who enjoys experimental field work, measurement technology and has significant experience with model-aircraft flight. Both funding lines A and B (full time or sandwich) are possible, but due to intense team work with other scientists in our lab, the fulltime
funding line A is preferred.
For further instructions on how to apply, more information on the program and contact details please see below.
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) and the University of Tübingen have established a PhD Program which supports Chinese nationals inside and outside of China wishing to carry out all or part of their PhD study in Tübingen.
- providing high quality research training to qualified students from Chinese universities
- developing education and research collaborations between the University of Tübingen and Chinese universities and research institutions
Excellent postgraduate and doctoral students from Chinese universities who are citizens and permanent residents of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application
Details: Full time fellowship:
- postgraduate students who want to carry out their complete doctoral studies at the University of Tübingen
- up to 48 months
- degree conferred by the University of Tübingen
- Annual living allowance as prescribed by the Chinese Government (which includes Overseas Student Health Cover)
- Return airfare to Germany
- Visa application fees
- Support for the attendance of international conferences during the second and third year (up to 1000€ granted to successful applicants)
- Tuition waiver
- Option to take German language classes provided by the University of Tübingen during the first year
- Accommodation offered in Tübingen student dormitories depending on availability
- Opportunities to gain additional teaching and research experience as well as economic benefits from the University of Tübingen from the second year onward (depending on the ability of the applicant and the situation of the respective institute)
- Jan 15: Application deadline. Applications must be handed in through the online application system of the University of Tübingen
- by March 1: Successful applicants will be officially informed
- by April 5: Invited applicants have to register with the CSC according to the regulations of the CSC.
- by May 31: Final decisions about the allocation of scholarships will be made by the CSC
- June: Program participants will be invited for a welcome seminar in Beijing
- by Oct 1: Program participants arrive in Tübingen
- Successful candidates must return to China upon completion of their studies.
How to Apply:
In order to apply you need to upload the following documents combined in 1 PDF
- Cover/Motivation letter
- Research proposal
- Academic transcripts
- Proof of proficient skills in the required languages (if possible certificates, proficiency=comprehension of a wide range of demanding, longer texts as well as fluent and spontaneous expression allowing a flexible and effective language use for social, academic and professional purposes.)
For questions please contact the representation of the University of Tübingen in Beijing:
European Centre for Chinese Studies (ECCS)
Mr. Christian Buskühl
Peking University Pacific Science and Technology Development Center
52, Haidian Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100080 / Room 708
北京大学太平洋科技发展中心, 北京市 海淀区 海淀路52号 708室 / 邮编: 100080