Willkommen bei der Antragsdatenbank!
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program: Project 07/2020:
Airborne measurement of pollen distribution and transport in the lower atmosphere
Topic Description:Pollen concentrations and transport are crucial e.g. for health, bio-diversity, agriculture, and climate. In this projects pollen species, size distribution and transport are measured using a fully equipped research multi-copter in the lower atmosphere and ground-based measurements. The measurements cover one entire growing season of all contributory species. The main experimental site is the Ammer Valley near Tübingen, taking benefit of an already installed measurement-station network. Additional experiments may be conducted in China, for comparison and method transfer. The PhD candidate has to take care of multi-copter measurements up to 500 m (aircraft and pilot are provided), species identification using microscopes, photography and machinelearning approaches, data analysis (also from the station network) and the setup of a (state of the art) numerical dispersion model.
Faculty: Faculty of Science
Institute/Section/Subject:Centre for Applied Geo-Science, Environmental Physics
Supervising Professors:Prof. Dr. habil. Jens Bange and Dr. rer. nat. Andreas Platis (www.geo.uni-tuebingen.de/umphy)
About the Supervisors:atmospheric physics, turbulence, boundary-layer meteorology, wind energy, gases,air particles (from fine dust to pollen), sensor development, airborne measurement technology
Requirements for the application:Required Degrees: physics or meteorology or aeronautical or fluid-mechanical engineering
Language Requirements: English
Notes: We are looking for PhD a candidate who enjoys experimental field work. Programming skills are necessary for the data analysis and the complementary numerical study. Both funding lines A and B (full time or sandwich) are possible.
For further instructions on how to apply, more information on the program and contact details please see below.
CSC-Tübingen PhD Program
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) and the University of Tübingen have established a PhD Program which supports Chinese nationals inside and outside of China wishing to carry out all or part of their PhD study in Tübingen.
- providing high quality research training to qualified students from Chinese universities
- developing education and research collaborations between the University of Tübingen and Chinese universities and research institutions
Excellent postgraduate and doctoral students from Chinese universities who are citizens and permanent residents of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application
Details: Full time fellowship:
- postgraduate students who want to carry out their complete doctoral studies at the University of Tübingen
- up to 48 months
- degree conferred by the University of Tübingen
Details: Part time fellowship (sandwich model):
- doctoral students who want to carry out their research and studies alternatively at their home universities and the University of Tübingen. They follow a schedule set in advance by both the Chinese supervisors and supervisors at the University of Tübingen
- 6-24 months in Tübingen
- degree conferred by the Chinese home university
Funding (part-time fellowship):
- Annual living allowance as prescribed by the Chinese Government (which includes Overseas Student Health Cover) for 6-24 months
- Annual living allowance as prescribed by the Chinese Government (which includes Overseas Student Health Cover)
- Return airfare to Germany
- Visa application fees
- Support for the attendance of international conferences during the second and third year (up to 1000€ granted to successful applicants)
- Tuition waiver
- Option to take German language classes provided by the University of Tübingen during the first year
- Accommodation offered in Tübingen student dormitories depending on availability
- Opportunities to gain additional teaching and research experience as well as economic benefits from the University of Tübingen from the second year onward (depending on the ability of the applicant and the situation of the respective institute)
- Jan 15: Application deadline. Applications must be handed in through the online application system of the University of Tübingen
- by March 1: Successful applicants will be officially informed
- by April 5: Invited applicants have to register with the CSC according to the regulations of the CSC.
- by May 31: Final decisions about the allocation of scholarships will be made by the CSC
- June: Program participants will be invited for a welcome seminar in Beijing
- by Oct 1: Program participants arrive in Tübingen
- Successful candidates must return to China upon completion of their studies.
- Cover/Motivation letter
- Research proposal
- Academic transcripts
- Proof of proficient skills in the required languages (if possible certificates, proficiency=comprehension of a wide range of demanding, longer texts as well as fluent and spontaneous expression allowing a flexible and effective language use for social, academic and professional purposes.)
Funding (full-time fellowship):
How to Apply:
In order to apply you need to upload the following documents combined in 1 PDF
For questions please contact the representation of the University of Tübingen in Beijing:
European Centre for Chinese Studies (ECCS)
Mr. Christian Buskühl
Peking University Pacific Science and Technology Development Center
52, Haidian Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100080 / Room 708
北京大学太平洋科技发展中心, 北京市 海淀区 海淀路52号 708室 / 邮编: 100080